What I Found in Muffitt Hall

This week my college dorm is being torn down. Demolished due to irreparable water damage in the foundation. It's been on Spring Arbor campus since 1941. I know my European friends wont think of that as a long time, but in the States, it really is. I'm heartbroken over it's loss to SAU's campus. The twin dormitories of Muffitt and Ormston felt like an inseparable pair, forging many friendships, relationships, and memories. Spring Arbor will undoubtedly feel its loss.

The one, the only Muffitt Hall! Shout out to Amy, Kathy, and Jodi for lending me ALL the pics! 

Your early 20's are a werid time. We're all just babies trying and failing to be adults, hoping that we are doing our best. We're allowed to be lost, we're allowed to be broken, we're allowed to find ourselves. It's the most forgiving time society gives us. Muffitt let me be all of those things, even when I didn't realize it.

When I was reminded that the dorm was being demolished, I immediately went looking through my pictures to find one of Muffitt Hall. I didn't find what I was looking for, but I did find something better. I found my memories.

I found this picture from when I was trying to be smart and toss some Pringles into the trash and totally missed and they landed all over the floor.

Guys. GUYS. It was so sad. 

I found this one from my freshman year, where some of us were pretending to be sultry and we all learned that I can not, in fact, be sultry.

Ahh yes, with my Patrick Star Bandaid and my nude bra strap, I will make my best "My sunglasses are too big for my face" face.

I found this on from when we filled Becca's room with 802 balloons, because the JERCs are awesome and Hilarious.

LOOK AT THEM. TAKE IT IN.

Memories, sure, but more. So many amazing women have come and gone through these halls. Some of the fiercest I know have lived there with me. We've sat through the night in the lounge trying to finish organic chem assignments or in our own rooms watching movies on small laptop screens.

It's not just bricks that make a building. Although, I did purchase a brick from Muffitt, because I have no shame, feel free to judge. It's the people that make a place a home. Muffitt was my home in my most formative years, helped shape who I am, through some of my best and my worst moments.

Muffitt women aren't here to judge, we ourselves are weird, quirky, friendly, and caring. Being so central on campus kind of forces you to do so. After 3 years in Muffitt, I opted to live in the campus apartments, I found myself craving that feeling of belonging somewhere.

I met my best friend in Muffitt, she's like a sister to me, I'm an aunt to her children, and no matter how far apart we are, I know she will always be there for me. As I would be for her. Many friends I have made brightened my life just by living there. Making someone's day by just being in proximity is quite the accomplishment! Looking back, my friendships in Muffitt made life matter, made it fun, and made it worth living.

What I found in Muffitt Hall was joy, love, family, and memories to last a lifetime. Those things are stronger than a building, and it permeates every brick. 

Muffitt Hall 1941-2019

Comments

Popular Posts