A Heartbeat, a Lifetime
Hello! I know it's been a while since an update, but there hasn't been much to say lately, other than We're doing well! We jetted home in April for about 9 days for my sister's wedding and it was a mad house. one minute our plane landed in Chicago, and the next thing I knew we were back in Chicago waiting to head back to Scotland- so if I missed you while we were state-side know that I am sorry and I miss you too! :D Then as soon as we were back, we went to London and Oxford for vacation, now I've blinked and it's been 4 months since my last update.
WARNING: THE FOLLOWING POST IS GUSHY. SO, I GUESS, DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T LIKE THAT KIND OF THING? For those of you who are willing to continue onward, thanks for tolerating my corny blog.
Welp, I've been married 5 years today. It seems like Shott and I have been together forever and it also feels as if no time has passed since we were both tricked into a date. My life is completely different than how I viewed it a decade ago, and that is not necessarily a bad thing.
I remember when Shott and I had started to get serious and it scared the hell out of me. Choosing to spend the rest of my life with someone at the ripe old age of 24 seemed insane. It still kind of does. Particularly because I'm outspoken and independent. I was afraid that I would lose a major peice of my identity by letting another person become part of my existence permanently. I was worried I would miss out on opportunities, such as travel or my education. There is a freedom in knowing I can go where I want and do what I want, when I want to. But the more I thought about it, the more I knew I would regret not allowing this kind and generous person to share my small slice of universe.
Looking back, I realize that being together has offered us more opportunities that I could have imagined. We live here in Scotland now, I've seen places that I only dreamed I could go, I just got my master's degree in November - without taking a single loan to pay for it (and let me tell you, as an American, that is almost as impressive as the degree itself). His logical mind keeps me from getting blown away by the wind with my head in the clouds, and I like to think that my imaginative forward thinking adds a bit more spice to his life.
Now, this is not me being an advocate to marriage. It's not for everyone, and that's okay. No one needs anyone else, but it is nice to feel needed. I'm sure if we hadn't decided to be together, my life would still have been fine, and I would be just as happy. But the important thing is I've never regretted my decision to marry this person. Ever. Shott doesn't give my life meaning, and he doesn't stop me from finding meaning in my life. Whenever I am passionate about something he doesn't dampen my enthusiasm, and together we find an outlet for my drive. Sometimes, that means we sit on the floor and make paper chains together, other times that means we drop our lives in the US and move across the Atlantic to Scotland - you know, whatever.
I remember the week after we got married, someone told us, "Good luck, the first 5 years are the hardest." At the time, I thought that was a bit insensitive. And really, it still is. However, now that we're 5 years in, I can see where they were coming from. It is hard letting another human into your personal space. I like to have things a certain way, and so does he, and when those 2 ways of life come together, it creates tension. It almost always will. I'm not gonna say our marriage is perfect, no relationship is. And while it's tempting to put forth a face of perfection, I don't want to. I consider myself lucky to have Shott, he's incredibly supportive, and I am usually amazed at how much. But these last 6 months have been difficult, with me trying to get a job and a UK license, and he's been busy with changes at work, all this in addition to sharing a space with each other all day, every day, would put a strain on anyone.
We work through it, we always do, and we move on. I know Shott has the potential to drive any other woman crazy, but (most days) I'm not her. And every day I'm so happy that in a heartbeat, I chose a lifetime.
From left to right: My beautiful sister on her wedding day; Shott and I at Hamilton in London!
WARNING: THE FOLLOWING POST IS GUSHY. SO, I GUESS, DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T LIKE THAT KIND OF THING? For those of you who are willing to continue onward, thanks for tolerating my corny blog.
Welp, I've been married 5 years today. It seems like Shott and I have been together forever and it also feels as if no time has passed since we were both tricked into a date. My life is completely different than how I viewed it a decade ago, and that is not necessarily a bad thing.
Look at those two nerds, so young! so naive! So nerdy!
I remember when Shott and I had started to get serious and it scared the hell out of me. Choosing to spend the rest of my life with someone at the ripe old age of 24 seemed insane. It still kind of does. Particularly because I'm outspoken and independent. I was afraid that I would lose a major peice of my identity by letting another person become part of my existence permanently. I was worried I would miss out on opportunities, such as travel or my education. There is a freedom in knowing I can go where I want and do what I want, when I want to. But the more I thought about it, the more I knew I would regret not allowing this kind and generous person to share my small slice of universe.
I mean, who could say no to that face?
Looking back, I realize that being together has offered us more opportunities that I could have imagined. We live here in Scotland now, I've seen places that I only dreamed I could go, I just got my master's degree in November - without taking a single loan to pay for it (and let me tell you, as an American, that is almost as impressive as the degree itself). His logical mind keeps me from getting blown away by the wind with my head in the clouds, and I like to think that my imaginative forward thinking adds a bit more spice to his life.
That's the face of a man who thinks his wife is hilarious! (I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.)
Now, this is not me being an advocate to marriage. It's not for everyone, and that's okay. No one needs anyone else, but it is nice to feel needed. I'm sure if we hadn't decided to be together, my life would still have been fine, and I would be just as happy. But the important thing is I've never regretted my decision to marry this person. Ever. Shott doesn't give my life meaning, and he doesn't stop me from finding meaning in my life. Whenever I am passionate about something he doesn't dampen my enthusiasm, and together we find an outlet for my drive. Sometimes, that means we sit on the floor and make paper chains together, other times that means we drop our lives in the US and move across the Atlantic to Scotland - you know, whatever.
Here we are having a time at Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park!
I remember the week after we got married, someone told us, "Good luck, the first 5 years are the hardest." At the time, I thought that was a bit insensitive. And really, it still is. However, now that we're 5 years in, I can see where they were coming from. It is hard letting another human into your personal space. I like to have things a certain way, and so does he, and when those 2 ways of life come together, it creates tension. It almost always will. I'm not gonna say our marriage is perfect, no relationship is. And while it's tempting to put forth a face of perfection, I don't want to. I consider myself lucky to have Shott, he's incredibly supportive, and I am usually amazed at how much. But these last 6 months have been difficult, with me trying to get a job and a UK license, and he's been busy with changes at work, all this in addition to sharing a space with each other all day, every day, would put a strain on anyone.
We work through it, we always do, and we move on. I know Shott has the potential to drive any other woman crazy, but (most days) I'm not her. And every day I'm so happy that in a heartbeat, I chose a lifetime.
Look at these two kids, we like them. (photo by Meredith Bradley Photography)






Comments