*Insert clever title on passage of time here*
I've finally found the time to update my blog. The last few months have been a whirlwind! I had my dissertation to finish up and Shott and I went back to the States for a couple of weeks for a wedding and some well deserved family/friend time! But dang did that time fly by, you don't realize how little time 12 days is until you try (and sometimes fail) to see everyone you know!
Its offical! its been a whole year since we've moved here! We are in a totally different place than when we first moved thats for sure, after 6 weeks of living like a hermit I have finished my dissertation and with that I've completed my master's degree (grade pending). My actual graduation isn't until Black Friday, but it feels good to be done with classes. Shott and I have a much more active social life than a year ago. Which means I generally get less sleep- I'm still trying to decide if I like this trade off. We are both generally happy and that's what's important :D
Honestly, it's hard to believe the year is over, last week I was at the University talking to this years master's course and it felt like no time has passed between now and when I was in those seats listening to previous students. I give it about 2 months before I miss the classrooms again.
Now that I'm finished with my degree, the most frequent question that i am asked is, so what's next?
With all sincerity, I honestly don't know. I've spent most of my life making plans and watching them change and making new plans because my last one didn't work. So, about 2 years ago, I stopped trying to make them. Now, I live in Scotland (a truly wonderful country) and I am finished with my master's. I'm pretty pleased with life. Please don't mistake this for lack of ambition, because I have many goals and aspirations I would like to accomplish, but I'm just not sure what I would like to do next. And you know what? That's okay. It's taken me 28 years to realize that its okay to not be sure about what you want. I have a luxury that I've never had before, and that's the time to find what I really want to do without having to rush to the next thing, and explore my options. Something I probably wouldn't have if Shott wasn't so dang amazing and supportive. So I will be taking advantage of that and exploring every option.
But for now I am content to relax and have Shott teach me how to drive a car with a manual transmission (after 1 lesson I can say our marriage is intact), so I can get a UK license, something most environmental positions require here. Which on a side note, is infuriating because I have a US drivers license, and drivers ed was not my favorite, and I don't really like how this whole process makes me feel like I'm 14 again.
Thank goodness we have a vacation coming up at the end of October! More for Shott than me, after a year of living with a human ball of stress, poor guy needs a break.
It's been quite the year! I enjoy Scotland more every day and I can't wait to experience everything the next year here has for me.
And by family/friend time, I mean redressing my mom's front yard mannequin for August :D
Its offical! its been a whole year since we've moved here! We are in a totally different place than when we first moved thats for sure, after 6 weeks of living like a hermit I have finished my dissertation and with that I've completed my master's degree (grade pending). My actual graduation isn't until Black Friday, but it feels good to be done with classes. Shott and I have a much more active social life than a year ago. Which means I generally get less sleep- I'm still trying to decide if I like this trade off. We are both generally happy and that's what's important :D
Myself in front of the university loch with my master's dissertation!
Honestly, it's hard to believe the year is over, last week I was at the University talking to this years master's course and it felt like no time has passed between now and when I was in those seats listening to previous students. I give it about 2 months before I miss the classrooms again.
Now that I'm finished with my degree, the most frequent question that i am asked is, so what's next?
With all sincerity, I honestly don't know. I've spent most of my life making plans and watching them change and making new plans because my last one didn't work. So, about 2 years ago, I stopped trying to make them. Now, I live in Scotland (a truly wonderful country) and I am finished with my master's. I'm pretty pleased with life. Please don't mistake this for lack of ambition, because I have many goals and aspirations I would like to accomplish, but I'm just not sure what I would like to do next. And you know what? That's okay. It's taken me 28 years to realize that its okay to not be sure about what you want. I have a luxury that I've never had before, and that's the time to find what I really want to do without having to rush to the next thing, and explore my options. Something I probably wouldn't have if Shott wasn't so dang amazing and supportive. So I will be taking advantage of that and exploring every option.
But for now I am content to relax and have Shott teach me how to drive a car with a manual transmission (after 1 lesson I can say our marriage is intact), so I can get a UK license, something most environmental positions require here. Which on a side note, is infuriating because I have a US drivers license, and drivers ed was not my favorite, and I don't really like how this whole process makes me feel like I'm 14 again.
Thank goodness we have a vacation coming up at the end of October! More for Shott than me, after a year of living with a human ball of stress, poor guy needs a break.
It's been quite the year! I enjoy Scotland more every day and I can't wait to experience everything the next year here has for me.


Comments