The Great Selfie Adventure
I've been back in Scotland for over a week now. So its about time for me to get in gear and write a post about The Great Selfie Adventure! or as most of you know it; my research trip to Norway.
I call it The Great Selfie Adventure, because it was just me for a whole month, and when you are in Norway, you are compelled to take pictures. Eventually you want to be in those pictures, which forces me to take pictures of myself. A skill I generally do not have. I do have some pretty quality bad pictures though. Haha!
It wasn't all just pictures of myself though. I was rather busy for the whole month, and even though I was busy, I drove myself a little crazy. I had a few "The Martian" moments. But since it's not uncommon for me to talk to myself, I didn't become concerned until I started to argue with myself. and lost. This can be worrying. However, I did re-read all 7 Harry Potter's in 7 days, so I beat my old record of 2 weeks!
Side note- among other terrifying things I did that day, I crossed a rushing river on a bridge that was not made of steel and cement. And one of the wooden planks in the middle almost broke when I walked on it. (I know my dad will appreciate this, because when I was six I refused to walk on a rope bridge in Chattanooga and probably cried about it for at least 10 mins. you're welcome.)
With little difficulty and lots of self reliance, I made it through a month with myself for company. Sleeping in tents on mountain tops, talking with all sorts of delightful people, and hiking to see nice views/ driving to see them because that whole country is a freaking post card (see picture above). But, now I'm home sleeping in my own bed (the ground is not consistently comfortable everywhere- would not recommend), and its back to work. I have a mere 35 days until I need to turn in my rough draft. So it's time to put my head back down and become a hermit, so I can party later.
Look at this rad selfie by a waterfall! and it only took me 6 tries!
It wasn't all just pictures of myself though. I was rather busy for the whole month, and even though I was busy, I drove myself a little crazy. I had a few "The Martian" moments. But since it's not uncommon for me to talk to myself, I didn't become concerned until I started to argue with myself. and lost. This can be worrying. However, I did re-read all 7 Harry Potter's in 7 days, so I beat my old record of 2 weeks!
Note on good Erin selfies- always wear sunglasses so you cant see me squint.
Though the goal of this trip was to gather data for my dissertation (I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!), when you spend that much time with yourself, you cant help but do some self reflection. For me it was more relying on/trusting my instincts. I am usually with someone who I can check with when I don't know something or if an area "feels" wrong. When its just me, I can sometimes do stupid things, like idunno- accidentally climbing the side of a mountain. And when you are half way up a mountain, you just keep going up. Cuz going back down is harder and I am terrified of heights. Plus, up was where I had come, my car was parked there. if I had listened to my instincts, I would have taken the easier way back, but then I wouldn't have this fun story. so in that instance its a win-win. Side note- among other terrifying things I did that day, I crossed a rushing river on a bridge that was not made of steel and cement. And one of the wooden planks in the middle almost broke when I walked on it. (I know my dad will appreciate this, because when I was six I refused to walk on a rope bridge in Chattanooga and probably cried about it for at least 10 mins. you're welcome.)
LOOK AT THIS BRIDGE! Okay, so it's not that scary looking, but believe me, my heart was in my throat the whole time.
I also had to do the thing where I walk up to people and ask them to fill out questions. which is scary. I know that I'm an easy going person and its not so hard for me to talk to people. But its one thing to chat you up while I'm wandering around (which I did plenty of), but its an entirely different bag of potatoes to ask them to take time to fill something out for me. Its a good thing this was in Norway, because those people are super nice when they say no. And you have to be really insistent to do this, not with other people, but with yourself. Had to give myself pep talks before every person I approached. I actually bought myself a box of brownies, and it became my motivation to finish the day. "Just 2 more hours and then I can eat my brownie." I understand the importance of social sciences, particularly in the area of conservation, we need everyone to participate to be successful, but for realz I would rather count birds or something. (But now I know, and knowing is half the battle *insert GI Joe logo here*)
Here is a lovely scenic picture to end on. (honestly, I could have just made an entire post with just pictures. but where's the fun in that?)
Although once nice thing is that, I feel like I know a little more about my heritage. My family is from Norway, and it was amazing to experience the country and feel a strange concrete sense of belonging and understanding. Wandering around in the woods there just felt right, and that meant so much to me. I am aware that this is probably a strictly American trait to have, seeing at we are all mutts looking for a pedigree, but its important to know yourself, in whatever capacity works for you (if you want to read more of my thoughts on this, feel free to check out my post on American Family Culture, no pressure). With little difficulty and lots of self reliance, I made it through a month with myself for company. Sleeping in tents on mountain tops, talking with all sorts of delightful people, and hiking to see nice views/ driving to see them because that whole country is a freaking post card (see picture above). But, now I'm home sleeping in my own bed (the ground is not consistently comfortable everywhere- would not recommend), and its back to work. I have a mere 35 days until I need to turn in my rough draft. So it's time to put my head back down and become a hermit, so I can party later.




Comments