Holy crap, where did the time go?
The one thing that makes me good at remembering to post is the urge to avoid actual work! I have 2 papers due in a few days and I just want to sleep. Ahh, the yearnings of graduate school. But I can see the light to my dissertation project so I plug on... but first, I must procrastinate!
This semester has been a blur, so much so that I have forgotten to update anyone about anything. The last time I managed something I got lost in Scotland. No worries though! I have successfully made my way home on the train since then so it seems that I am doing much better (or I always make sure I have people with me).
Yesterday I had my final class of my master's degree, and it be honest it didn't feel like it was over. Which I can't tell if its a good or a bad thing. I will miss the classroom, I genuinely enjoy the flow and exchange of ideas and most days I can pay attention. But it doesn't feel "over", I know this is because I have a dissertation looming over my head that will be my life for the next 3-4 months, and I'm crazy excited about the prospect of that (for real though, I get to go to Norway and I'm beyond elated).
These last few months have been filled with projects and papers, but also small trips to the highlands and one southern trip to London. Like I've said before, life is filled with mountains and hills, and this semester has been no exception. I'm learning a lot about who in my life I relied on when I lived at home, and homesickness finally hit and it hit me harder than I expected. In little ways, like the ability to call my parents without thinking about the time or the need for a cold Vernors and have that need immediately be quenched. But in large ways also, like seeing my niece and nephew get older and hearing about my older sister's big part in a musical for the Civic (It's a theatre in Kalamazoo, MI for my Scotland friends). I have always made Shott drive me to her performances even though we lived almost 3 hours away.
Homesickness is hard, but I wouldn't trade living here for anything. Yes, not being able to find a decent taco or salsa is frustrating but there is a ton of curry here and it makes up for it. I feel myself learning and expanding knowledge about my chosen field and I am even more excited about the ideas rolling around in my head for the application of this knowledge, from helping my dad manage his property (I am learning so much about forest management), to how social media can aid in conservation efforts (an annoyingly short dissertation explanation). But also I have been traveling around the island so much, and I am still in love with it (i'm not gonna lie, it has mostly to see various whisky distilleries. The girls and I are trying so hard to get that Quaich!). I've made some amazing friends here and I'm so happy we have longer visas than student visas!
As a side note: Shott really should get some kind of public credit for all the things he's put up with so far. I've been able to go so many places because of his sacrifice to move here and to let me travel while he stays home (except for London, but that was my idea too). He has had to listen to my freak outs for due dates and get mad at him for stupid things like cutting tomatoes wrong because I'm stressed out and there really is no excuse for it. He is too good for me and I love him lots.
This semester has flown by and I'm sorry for the lack of details, I'm not sure where I would be if my friends (mostly one in particular) didn't tag me in everything on Facebook. I'm sure my family would wonder if I'm even alive. Ha ha!
But i'm gonna break for now, I really have to finish this paper and this rambling just makes me want to type more so I might as well use it to aid my actual school work. Here's hoping I remember to write a more detailed post in a week!
This semester has been a blur, so much so that I have forgotten to update anyone about anything. The last time I managed something I got lost in Scotland. No worries though! I have successfully made my way home on the train since then so it seems that I am doing much better (or I always make sure I have people with me).
Yesterday I had my final class of my master's degree, and it be honest it didn't feel like it was over. Which I can't tell if its a good or a bad thing. I will miss the classroom, I genuinely enjoy the flow and exchange of ideas and most days I can pay attention. But it doesn't feel "over", I know this is because I have a dissertation looming over my head that will be my life for the next 3-4 months, and I'm crazy excited about the prospect of that (for real though, I get to go to Norway and I'm beyond elated).
These last few months have been filled with projects and papers, but also small trips to the highlands and one southern trip to London. Like I've said before, life is filled with mountains and hills, and this semester has been no exception. I'm learning a lot about who in my life I relied on when I lived at home, and homesickness finally hit and it hit me harder than I expected. In little ways, like the ability to call my parents without thinking about the time or the need for a cold Vernors and have that need immediately be quenched. But in large ways also, like seeing my niece and nephew get older and hearing about my older sister's big part in a musical for the Civic (It's a theatre in Kalamazoo, MI for my Scotland friends). I have always made Shott drive me to her performances even though we lived almost 3 hours away.
Some pictures from London, Big Ben/Parliment, Westminster Abbey, The Tower of London, and Kings Cross Station. No Shott in these pictures, but I promise you, he was there.
Homesickness is hard, but I wouldn't trade living here for anything. Yes, not being able to find a decent taco or salsa is frustrating but there is a ton of curry here and it makes up for it. I feel myself learning and expanding knowledge about my chosen field and I am even more excited about the ideas rolling around in my head for the application of this knowledge, from helping my dad manage his property (I am learning so much about forest management), to how social media can aid in conservation efforts (an annoyingly short dissertation explanation). But also I have been traveling around the island so much, and I am still in love with it (i'm not gonna lie, it has mostly to see various whisky distilleries. The girls and I are trying so hard to get that Quaich!). I've made some amazing friends here and I'm so happy we have longer visas than student visas!
For real, we've been to a lot of distilleries trying to get that quaich
As a side note: Shott really should get some kind of public credit for all the things he's put up with so far. I've been able to go so many places because of his sacrifice to move here and to let me travel while he stays home (except for London, but that was my idea too). He has had to listen to my freak outs for due dates and get mad at him for stupid things like cutting tomatoes wrong because I'm stressed out and there really is no excuse for it. He is too good for me and I love him lots.
This semester has flown by and I'm sorry for the lack of details, I'm not sure where I would be if my friends (mostly one in particular) didn't tag me in everything on Facebook. I'm sure my family would wonder if I'm even alive. Ha ha!
But i'm gonna break for now, I really have to finish this paper and this rambling just makes me want to type more so I might as well use it to aid my actual school work. Here's hoping I remember to write a more detailed post in a week!
Here's a weird picture of me in one of my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle hats to hold you over in the meantime. :P



Comments