Its All About the Attitude, Kids

Right now i'm sitting the library on campus at the beautiful University of Stirling, next to a window with a great view of the lake, researching a paper on bio-diesel that's due in a weeks time and all I could think about a few minutes ago was, how annoyed I was that I didn't have a cell phone and how I feel like I have to rely on Shott for everything.

Don't be like me. I am a doofus.

We've barely been here a month and I've already started taking this country and this opportunity for granted. I can literally see small mountains out my back window and I'm whining about a little lack of technology! This is what happens when I get complacent! I whine, its very natural and healthy, I assure you.

Look at this view! Look at it! 

But we have been here a month and its hasn't been all complaints, We have a home now, and its lovely, and I started classes last week and I love them. One or two are difficult, but this is a Master's degree so I can't really complain about that. It is nice to be putting new information into my head, instead of feeling the slow drip of knowledge leaving without anything useful to replace it. Our apartment is small, and I knew it would be. One of the things that made me feel distinctly American was when we had so much crap in our suitcases, I was surprised we found a place for everything. I understood the stereotype as I was trying to find a place for the plethora of sweaters I brought with me. I love it though, it has a great view and I wave to Shott every morning as I walk by the front window to the bus stop. Plus the kitchen has green tile and green makes everything better.

The people here are wonderful as well. I have met so many people and not a single one of them has been mean or rude. Everyone is just super nice, its refreshing. Although it has made me a little paranoid. I'm sure mean people will start popping out at every corner soon. I'm so sure of it. Or everyone here is just nice and I don't know what that's like... No. It's the people who are hiding. its gotta be.

Yes, it is annoying to not have a cell phone, but shouldn't I be enjoying the freedom and opportunity this gives me? Shott and I went on a hike on Saturday and I just enjoyed the moment when I got to the top. I wasn't rushing to take a picture and post it. (Even though I like to share those things with people.) I just got to the top sat down and enjoyed that I am actually here,

And yes, I super hate having to lean on Shott for every little thing, but I never relied on him enough when we were in the states, or any one else for that matter. It's always been me against the world, and I take great pride in my independence. But when you are married, you aren't just you any more, and right now it really feels like its me and Shott against the world. Three years of marriage and it took moving to another country away from everything I know to figure it out.

How I experience my life here will greatly be affected on my attitude throughout. Of course I'm going to hate it if all I think about are the stuff that bothers me. Why wouldn't it? As someone who is always telling people to enjoy the little things in life, its nice to be reminded to enjoy the little things in life. Take life for what is it and keep it positive. Positive thinking got me here, it should keep me here too.

Comments

Jodi said…
I love "me and Shott against the world." I also love that you refer to him as Shott. :)

Popular Posts